Narai Post Town is located at the foot of Torii Pass, where it flourished as a Post Town being referred to as "Narai of 1000 buildings" having a length twice as long as Niekawa Post Town.
Narai Post Town was separated from the national road network when the national roads were upgraded in the Meiji period; but this served to preserve this Post Town exactly as it had existed, and in 1978, it was designated as a "Traditional Buildings Preservation District". Traditional inns for ordinary travelers and daimyo from the 'Edo period' stand exactly as they were. And the Daimler's inn is presently being used as a community center. The house of the Tezuka family who ran a wholesale business is open to the public as a museum. The old buildings of Narai Post Town resurrect the scenes of olden days. Stone-paved sections of the path extending to Torii Pass are a precise reproduction of the original stone-paved road of the Nakasendo, which is now used and maintained as a walking trail.
Nearest station：Narai Station on the JR Tokai Chuo line
Location：Narai, Shiojiri City, Nagano